Tuesday 28 June 2016

Day 1 BBH Review (Meeting John Hegarty)

Intense first day.

Had a talk from the great John Hegarty and even got a signed book, amazing.

The man blew my mind, such a vast knowledge, his very presence speaks volumes of where he stands in this industry.

I only had enough time to ask him one question!

It was more reassurance then a question.

I can't remembered exactly the question I asked but it was something around getting to a idea.

Basically I referenced the Rolling Stones, how they didn't actually have a process to produce great music, but it simply came to them when they concentrated.

They messed around all day and then near the end of day or even the week, boom there jamming would produce gold.

What I was asking is coming up with a great idea better organically in your own way instead of following a list/process of rules?

Hegarty gave me two examples I can remember.

1. Simply from grabbing a insight from the world around him.

2. Finding a insight in his inner belief on something.

What I got from that was there are two types of thinking, but all come down to a insight/truth.

I prefer the second one, taking something from you to produce great work, more natural, more different/unique.

Makes you feel more like a artist in a sense.

Don't mark everything word by word, its only what I can remember from my conversation with Hegarty.

The whole point of this conversation was simply that creativity has no process, its just a means to create, and thats what it should forever be.

Near the end of the day, I was drinking in the pub before the game that England pissed up the wall.

And I said to some friends "When you start to think of it as advertising, you start to produce advertising".

I believe to create great work, you need to stop thinking of it as advertising, only then will you break boundaries and make something new.

Come up with a idea of course, but execute like a fine artist.

Anyway enough with my preaching, got more work to do now as I sit alone early in BBH.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading